Backstreet Memories
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum destiné aux Backstreet Boys - Forum intended for Backstreet Boys

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

St Johns Concert Review 8/1/08

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mary-Eve
Admin
Admin
Mary-Eve

Number of posts : 11517
Registration date : 2008-03-16

St Johns Concert Review 8/1/08 Empty
PostSubject: St Johns Concert Review 8/1/08   St Johns Concert Review 8/1/08 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul - 14:31

Backstreet Boys - cliched but 'ridiculously entertaining'
Review

HEIDI WICKS
The Telegram

The Backstreet Boys turn a boxing ring into a stage Tuesday night at Mile One Centre in St. John's.— Photo by Gary Hebbard/The Telegram

Larger than Life is the way to describe boy band the Backstreet Boys, in the way they seized the stage at Mile One Centre in St. John's Tuesday night. As a boxing ring floated to centre stage, all four boys (Kevin quit the band, ladies) bounced with muchos testosterone, which matched the mesmerizing estrogen-overloaded shrieks that blared resoundingly throughout the stadium. I've never heard anything like it.

With a costume change for almost each song, the Unbreakable tour was launched with a variety of new Backstreet songs, and the old ones (of which I knew a surprising high percentage).

The vocals were a little muffled, making it difficult to determine what lyrics were being sung. However, this may have been an effect of being seated at the side of the stadium. Upon moving towards the back, audio was somewhat clearer. And some songs were off key. But where there was a shortage of in-tune singing, there was a plethora of outreached arms, longing looks, and hand-touching with audience members. A hundred pacemakers couldn't cause this many hearts to flutter, inspiring many a young girl to go home and undoubtedly make out with their Nick Carter poster.

"There are so many beautiful people in this audience tonight!" yelled AJ, arms a-stretch, eyes adoring.

Choreography was typically hokey. In an era of merciless mockery against boy bands, (numerous Saturday Night Live sketches parodying boy bands, as well as our own "Sons of Our Fathers," as performed by comedy troupe The Dance Party of Newfoundland), the Boys are brave in embarking on another tour. But no matter how many ways I think about it, I cannot comprehend the appeal of syncopated fist-waving, kicks, spins and groin hoists.

The unbelievably dorky moves that are matched with such badass expressions are beyond me. The movement seems not to be representative of any theme in the music, nor require significant stamina.

Boy band music has its faults, to say the least.

But it has a nostalgic quality that somewhat redeems it. Similar to buying a pair of pink Converse sneakers, listening to certain Backstreet Boys songs awakens more innocent times. It brings us back to the time when we first started liking boys, first had crushes. I found myself wishing I still had my old Donnie Wahlberg (of New Kids on the Block) T-shirt. There's something about remembering a simpler, unaffected time in your life that bands like this one tap into.

Later in the show, Howie told us, "I couldn't think of a better place to kick off the Backstreet Boys tour than right here in Newfoundland," to which everyone shrieked. And he pronounced Newfoundland the right way.

They swooned us, telling us "I'll Never Break Your Heart," with a smack into the chorus that was accompanied with an explosion of lights and a pound of the bass that inspired me to pump my own fist high into the air.

Corny? Yeah. Cliched? Absolutely. Ridiculously entertaining? You betcha. I laughed a hundred times more than at another recent concert, where the singer's corpse-like drones of death and complete lack of interaction with the audience inspired nothing but a long winter's nap and maybe a sleeping pill to help move it along.

As cheesy as pop music can be, there's a little part of everyone that sometimes just likes to be swooned. Sometimes it's just nice to escape from the cynicism.

By the last song, nearly the whole audience had their arms raised into the air, forming little hearts with their fingers.

Even the crustiest curmudgeon in the house was screaming, "Oh ma Gawd, we're back again."

Backstreet's Back? Alright.

SOURCE : beckmant via FC
Back to top Go down
https://backstreet-memories.rpg-board.net
Sandra
Cralwing Back To You
Cralwing Back To You
Sandra

Number of posts : 342
Registration date : 2008-03-22

St Johns Concert Review 8/1/08 Empty
PostSubject: Re: St Johns Concert Review 8/1/08   St Johns Concert Review 8/1/08 Icon_minitimeThu 31 Jul - 15:05

Merci. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

St Johns Concert Review 8/1/08
Page 1 of 1